Thursday, September 16, 2010

#11 The Road goes ever on and on

     'Good-bye, for the present, Bilbo. Take care of yourself! You are old enough, and perhaps wise enough.'
     'Take care! I don't care. Don't you worry about me! I am as happy now as I have ever been, and that is saying a great deal. But the time has come. I am being swept off my feet at last,' and then in a low voice, as if to himself, he sang softly in the dark:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.


This is one of my many favourite moments of LOTR. Bilbo has just let go of the ring and is free from its addiction - an addiction he didn't know he had. I love it. He is leaving and going on his adventure, and it means so much more that he is free from the ring, even though he can't see it. I guess, I want to feel like Bilbo at this moment - free from what holds me back, free from what sucks the life out of me. If only it was as simple as putting a piece of jewellery on the floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment